Monday, March 5, 2012

Performer Spotlight: Jacob Chapman


I must admit something.  When I read this, I got all choked up.  It means a lot to have people like Jacob Chapman say this sort of thing about you, about your production, about your work.  And he likened my project to Deep Love (not saying it's in the same realm or anything buuuut still) that's just about the biggest compliment I could receive. 

Jacob sent me some tracks in January (i think) to sample his vocals, and I tell you, I was not prepared for what I heard.  I had to listen to them over and over and over because they were so fantastic.  If you ever get the chance to ask this guy to perform something, ask him to do 'Tango Till They're Sore'.  It'll knock your socks off. 

1) Name, where you are from and what you study at BYU-I?
Jacob Glenn Chapman, hailing from the major world power, Texas. Studying English Literature and Theatre Arts.

2) What is one of your special/freakish talents?
My nose flattens strangely. I do a little dance that involves what Liz calls my “booty”. And I can climb the outer walls of buildings (slowly).

3) What character do you play in Argentine and how do you feel about your character?  Do you find yourself relating to him/her?
I play Hammond, an intelligent man excited by the possibilities of science. When his scientific ambitions become an obsession, he forgets his humanity and becomes antagonistic towards those he loves. I appreciate Hammond’s passion for discovery and sympathize with his emotional struggles, but his destructive disregard for others is hard for me to understand. It’s important to realize that many people face the kind of ugly reality he represents. Love creates trust, and Hammond’s abuse of that trust makes me want to live my life better upholding it.

4) What attracted you to the project?
Deep Love is an inspiring production, and the idea of being part of that kind of a project—a meticulous blend of songcraft with storytelling—has been really appealing to me. So I’m thrilled to be a part of Argentine.

5) What are you most excited about in regards to the Argentine production?
Working with such amazing people! I love projects that surround me with creative minds and hearts.

6) What would you say to encourage people to come see Argentine?
Hey. What are you doing? Stop that. Come over here. Watch and listen to this rock opera. It’s a tremendous realization of the creative vision of an inspired writer and musician. The songs are beautifully crafted, the story is human and stylish, and the message is uplifting. To miss Argentine is to (significantly) miss out.

No comments:

Post a Comment